Learn how to top-rope climb at either Koocanusa or Stryker climbing sites with our expert climbing instructor!
PCGI Climbing Guide Certification Assessment
Start time: 9 a.m.
Duration: 2 hours per each aspirant.
Location: The course will take place near Whitefish, MT at the Stryker climbing area.
Directions: For directions click HERE
- Climber Ages 18+
About the Assessment
This exam will test the aspiring guide’s knowledge of the material presented in the TRG (top rope guide) course. The exam will consist of a number of in the field skill assessments from building anchors to group handling to rescue scenarios. A passing grade is required to attain the PCGI TRG certification.
Suggested gear list:
The following gear list is by no means prescriptive, only a recommendation
- Climbing harness with belay loop
- Climbing helmet
- Standard free climbing rack, which should include a set of wired nuts, camming units, and other optional trad gear such as tri-cams, hexes, etc.
- 10-12 shoulder-length runners with carabiners
- 50-60-meter climbing rope
- Sticky rubber approach shoes
- Climbing shoes comfortable enough to wear all day in hot conditions
- Five Pear shaped large locking carabiners
- Two 18-21 foot long 7mm nylon cords (cordalette)
- Belay device (Gri-Gri, Reverso, ATC Guide)
- 100 ft. of 9 – 10 mm static line for extending anchors
The course will take place near Whitefish, MT at Stryker.